The HIV team has achieved genuinely astonishing results in very tough circumstances.
- 80 patients newly diagnosed with HIV commenced on life-saving treatment.
- A 97% retention rate achieved for treatment in a patient group of 180.
- At 3%, our mortality rate is substantially lower than that expected for people with HIV.
- The team has delivered the national HIV training-of-trainers workshop.
We are seeking gifts or grants ranging from $5,000 up to $200,000 to fund various expansion aspects of the current successful program.
In a little over 2 years, the Maluk Timor team has worked successfully with others to build a sound foundation for a HIV program for Timor Leste.
What has been achieved in that time through past donor support has been remarkable and demonstrates the substantial impact that can be made.
HIV no longer need to be a death sentence if the right treatment can be delivered.
The team and partners working at current clinic know how to ensure that treatment rates remain high, and the program reach continues to expand through more training and improved access.
Our HIV Program is based in Dili, and it comprises a mix of both Maluk Timor and Ministry of Health staff forming one unit.
One International mentor
- Doctor – Associação Maluk Timor
- Nurses – Associação Maluk Timor
- Counsellor – Associação Maluk Timor
- Nurses – Ministry of Health
What have we achieved to date?
- Enrolled 180 patients, with 97% of those started on anti-HIV treatment supported to stay on it
- Widely promoted HIV prevention strategies including HIV testing and use of condoms
- Provided intensive HIV training/mentoring to a core team of 6 Timorese health workers (the Maloa HIV Team)
- Provided basic HIV training to over 200 Timorese health workers around the country including remote centres
- Collaborated with the Ministry of Health and other key partners to develop national HIV strategies and training programs
- 36 doctors have had short term clinical placements
What would we like to do next?
- Build a new, larger, fit-for-purpose HIV Care and Training centre
- Continue to diagnose and manage patients with HIV infection
- Continue to provide HIV training to more Timorese community health care workers, including midwives as part of the Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission of HIV campaign
- Continue to up-skill our core HIV Team, including providing the opportunity for two of them to attend an international HIV academic conference
- Expand community engagement activities e.g. sharing of accurate HIV messaging on TV/radio/social media
- Purchase a vehicle for HIV program to enable home visits and looking for lost-to-follow-up patients
- Provide social support for patients e.g. travel costs
How can donors support?
Financial or in-kind support for any of the items below:
|Establish a new, larger HIV care and training centre||$130,000||$200,000|
|Annual running costs of existing program||$39,000||$60,000|
|Employ additional Timorese clinical staff||$26,000||$40,000|
|Purchase a vehicle for HIV program||$13,000||$20,000|
|Social support to patients (one year)||$3,250||$5,000|
If any of these interest you – Maluk Timor can provide more detail.
or calling Helen Moorfoot on 0413 172 443 or calling Jeff Buchanan on 0400 868 207