Please consider becoming a supporter of Maluk Timor with a recurring donation.
Donations over $2 are tax deductible in Australia
via Visa or Mastercard
Our longstanding commitment and the deep expertise of our local staff has established us as a trusted partner in the region with a proven track record of effecting change.
We bring together individuals and institutions to address the severe health issues facing Timor Leste today.
Measured by both income and human development indicators, Timor-Leste is one of the world’s least developed countries. More than 40 per cent of the population lives below the poverty line of USD 88 cents a day. The vast majority of the poorer and more vulnerable communities live in the rural areas. The major health problems currently affecting Timor-Leste according to the World Health Organization are:
- One of the highest rates of women dying from pregnancy and childbirth in Asia.
- More than 45 per cent of children are underweight for their age especially those living in rural areas.
- Limited access to clean water and basic sanitation contributes to the spread of infectious diseases such as diarrhoea, which can be fatal.
- Malaria is highly endemic in all districts with the highest morbidity and mortality rates reported in children.
- Tuberculosis (TB) is a major public health problem with an estimated 8,000 active TB cases nationally.
- Infectious disease, low utilisation of skilled assistance for antenatal and poor reproductive health are the most common causes of infant mortality.
- Sexually transmitted infections (STI) are common in sexually active age groups, mostly in Dili and Baucau districts.
- Life expectancy is low at around 62 years.
- HIV management
Bank Account Details for Direct Donation(tax deductable in Australia)
ANZ Martin Place
BSB: 012 055
Account Number: 4931- 55093