Maluk Timor Australia is committed to both protecting and securing the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information it holds. For these reasons, while Maluk Timor Australia is not bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), it has chosen to be guided by the principles contained in the Privacy Act. It has therefore based this policy on the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) as its standard for the handling of personal information it holds. Maluk Timor Australia fundraises for Maluk Timor of Timor-Leste, which provides free healthcare services in Timor-Leste.
This policy will apply to all Maluk Timor Australia’s activities. It details how we generally collect, hold, use and disclose an individual’s personal information and contains information about how an individual may access the personal information about him or her that we hold and seek the correction of such information. It also contains information about how an individual may complain to Maluk Timor Australia about how it has handled the individual’s personal information and how we will deal with such a complaint. All Directors, contactors, employees and volunteers of Maluk Timor Australia will abide by this policy.
3.Policy statement: Our commitment
Information we collect
The personal information Maluk Timor Australia may collect will depend on the circumstances of collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a donor, a supplier, contractor, job applicant, volunteer or other contact, or whether we collect the information from some other source, such as from Maluk Timor of Timor-Leste. The type of personal information which we collect about you depends on your dealings with us.
We may collect and hold the following types of information from donors:
- your name;
- your occupation;
- your postal address;
- your email address;
- your phone number; and
- payment information, including your credit card details.
You may be given the opportunity to provide further information regarding your interests in Maluk Timor, but the provision of this information is purely voluntary.
Maluk Timor Australia may also:
- collect and hold the following kinds of personal information about contractors, service providers and suppliers: name, job title, business contact details of company representatives with whom we deal, financial information and banking details; and
- in the context of our recruitment process for employees, contractors and volunteers, collect and hold the following kinds of personal information: name, email address, telephone number, address, financial details (including banking details), date of birth, history with Maluk Timor Australia (including communications between Maluk Timor Australia and the individual), citizenship, employment references, civil, credit and criminal records, driver’s licence information, education, employment history, marital status, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union and health information.
How we collect your information
In most cases, Maluk Timor Australia collects personal information about you directly from you, through meetings with you in person, or via other contact methods such as by telephone, facsimile, email and mail, or when you sign up to our newsletter via our website or complete a form.
We may also collect personal information from Maluk Timor of Timor-Leste or third party partner organisations.
How we use and disclose your information
Any personal information which we collect about you is collected, held, used and disclosed by us to:
- process your donation;
- keep you informed of our activities and advise you of events and functions organised by us or any organisation whose purpose is similar to ours. If at any time you no longer wish to be notified about our or third party activities, events or functions please contact us at the contact details set out below;
- appropriately manage the activities of Maluk Timor Australia, conduct audits and undertake accreditation processes;
- maintain, manage and develop our relationship with you;
- comply with relevant laws;
- assess and consider applications from prospective job applicants, contractors, volunteers and service providers;
- facilitate the services of Maluk Timor of Timor-Leste;
- contract out some of our functions to external service providers and suppliers (such as IT, mailing houses and printing companies);
- undertake any other purposes which are reasonably necessary in connection with any of the above uses; and
- such purposes for which we may obtain consent from time to time. That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct.
We may disclose your personal information to our agents, contractors, volunteers, Maluk Timor of Timor-Leste, external organisations who provide services to us (including lawyers, accountants, advisers and payment services providers), government authorities, event organisers, mailing houses, IT support service providers and printing companies.
If you do not provide the personal information we request or consent to the collection and use of your personal information for the purposes outlined in this Policy, we may not be able to do any of the things set out above.
How we hold your information, and will it be sent overseas
Maluk Timor Australia takes reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is stored securely, having regard to its nature and source including using encryption for donations and storing credit card information (in situations where it is obtained) in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards. Maluk Timor Australia will hold your personal information in a secure database.
Maluk Timor Australia may disclose your personal information to recipients in Timor-Leste. It does store personal information with cloud service providers so personal information may be stored or processed overseas. We may disclose personal information to external service providers located overseas, including in the United States,
Subject to any applicable exceptions, where Maluk Timor Australia holds personal information about you, you may have access to it. Within a reasonable period after receiving your request, we will take reasonable steps to provide you with access. If you wish to request access to or update your personal information, please contact us on the details provided below.
Maluk Timor Australia takes reasonable steps to keep your personal information as accurate, complete and up to date as possible. You may assist us by notifying Maluk Timor Australia if your circumstances change. You may request that we correct personal information we hold about you that is inaccurate or out of date. We will take reasonable steps to rectify the situation free of charge if we are satisfied that the information is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. If we refuse to correct your personal information, we will give you written notice setting out our reasons for the refusal and the mechanisms available to complain about the refusal.
Visitors to our website
Contact, access or complaints
If you wish to make contact us for any other reason, including to request access to your personal information, to seek correction of your information or to make a complaint regarding Maluk Timor Australia’s handling of your personal information, you can do so as follows:
Michelle Wilson, Chief Executive Officer, Maluk Timor Australia, [email protected] Australia: + 61 2 439900018
If you make a complaint, a representative of Maluk Timor Australia will contact you as soon as possible to ensure that we have sufficient detail about the nature of your compliant to action it. Your complaint will be referred to the Managing Director who will contact you as soon as practicable after that to resolve your complaint. We will respond to complaints within a reasonable period of time.